Using RadioDNS in Connected Cars
Using RadioDNS is free as we’re a not-for-profit organisation. When we say “free”, we mean without licences, licence fees or patent fees*. All you have to do implement the technology, or use a technology provider to implement it for you.
What does RadioDNS provide?
RadioDNS does not provide any metadata or content directly. We provide a lookup service to locate broadcasters, and a set of open-standards for metadata, content and interactivity.
The simple three steps are:
- Use DNS to locate a radio station by using its broadcast information (RadioDNS Lookup Process)
- Decide which application(s) you want to access (Metadata, Slideshow, Interactivity)
- Connect to the radio station directly and retrieve metadata and content
We don’t create a single point of failure, and we don’t intermediate, control or supervise the connections with radio stations.
Why use RadioDNS?
RadioDNS is durable, interoperable and reliable. Our open standards are the ideal choice for an automotive environment
- Durable – there’s no single platform that can fail. The failure of one service provider doesn’t affect any of the others. RadioDNS is supported by established broadcasting organisations including the EBU, NAB, WorldDAB, and is a not-for-profit organisation with a very low cost base.
- Interoperable – our open standards means you can choose between a variety of technology providers or implement directly yourself. Competition in the market means you can issue RFPs and switch between technology providers with no loss of continuity.
- Reliable – we use DNS, which is a core technology of the Internet. We have uptimes in excess of 99.999% and have done for over 6 years. With no single point of failure, you can connect directly to radio stations’ own servers.
How do I start using RadioDNS?
RadioDNS is here to support you. Contact our Project Office, and we can advise you how to start working with RadioDNS.
Using Technology Providers
We recommend talking to our partners about technology provision. We run a certification process to validate that technology solutions are compliant to our standards, and we recommend checking with the Project Office before committing to a solution.
You don’t have to be a member of RadioDNS to use our standards, but automotive manufacturers join RadioDNS for these benefits:
- Our testing tools and platforms – which allow you diagnose and report problems quickly
- Our technical group – which allows you to shape and understand the future developments in RadioDNS
- Our networking and events – which help you find solution providers and talk directly with broadcasters
Membership of RadioDNS is GBP3,000 per year. Ask the Project Office for more information.
* RadioDNS is not aware of any patents applicable to our published methods or standards, and has a strict IPR policy in place to avoid patented technology being incorporated into our standards.